Successful School Leadership in Turbulent Times.
Are you trying to manage a school with passionate but frightened staff?
Are you having difficulty securing purposeful, targeted PD that builds confidence in your teachers?
Out of Field Teachers
Day 8 budgeting and the demand for more subject offerings means that the compulsory subjects, English and maths, are often going to be taught by teachers with no training in the field.
You know that the adage ‘you can speak it, you can teach it’ is wrong, but the reality is that over 40% of classes in these important subjects are being taught by out of field teachers.
Usually it is in the years 7 – 10 and often it is by new teachers.
You are also aware of the sky rocketing attrition rates of early career teachers and the fact that teaching out of field is regularly given as a contributing factor.
This has been happening for a while and mostly it is managed because of the support and mentoring of experienced teachers.
But then covid-19 happened and everything went remote.
What You Have Done.
Then just as everyone was getting their head around it, they were told to go back to normal, but to keep doing the new method as well.
Your Job is Hard
Even before the pandemic hit, principals and school leaders were finding that their jobs were becoming increasingly challenging. Whether it be government regulations or parent demands, the time needed for supporting and empowering teachers was diminishing.
Your teachers and support staff are looking to you:
- For reassurance, clarity and support.
- For empathy and understanding.
- For a vision of what their school is going to look like when we get through this scary time.
We can’t help you with the government regulations or demanding parents or your maths classes, but we CAN help you in supporting your English teachers.
We Teach Well Coaching and Mentoring.
Aligned with the Australian Teacher Performance and Development Framework and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- The teacher down the hall
- The staffroom
- Friday night drinks
But all that disappeared when the schools were closed and we were working remotely.
We have also been reminded just how much talented and committed educators can accomplish when they are given the chance to broaden their pedagogy.
And for all the issues that came with technology, we have discovered it can be used effectively for professional development.
Imagine going home at night knowing your vulnerable teachers are getting the support they need.
Imagine waking in the morning with a little less to worry about.
Imagine knowing that participating staff:
- are becoming more confident with both face to face and remote teaching and learning.
- are being supported and coached by specialist English teachers.
- have increased confidence that will translate to better outcomes for your students.
- have a safe space to reflect on their pedagogy and explore possibilities.
- are being provided with access to vibrant online professional learning networks.
- have access to confidential systems that will assist in relieving stress.
Most importantly, knowing that you have provided your staff with practical ways of setting and achieving professional goals. An activity that could stop them from leaving the profession.
The primary goal of any coaching/mentoring program for teachers needs to be around teaching and learning.
Improved engagement and outcomes for students is at the heart of teaching. It is what you and your staff are constantly striving for.
Through a combination of individual and group coaching, and using the 3 phases of the Performance and Development Cycle,*** your new English teachers teachers will:
- Accelerate their professional growth through targeted planning and goal setting.
- Be shown how they can apply their current knowledge to the requirements of English language teaching and learning.
- Increase their subject knowledge through coaching and collaboration.
- Increase their confidence in professional conversations through understanding subject specific pedagogy.
- Connect with current research in the new field of education.
- Be introduced to supportive and subject specific PLNs
- Increase their capacity for problem solving through discussion and sharing pedagogy.
- Articulate a sound understanding of pedagogy and practice.
What You Get
Includes 2 one on one sessions over 9 weeks. Maximum group size is 5 participants
√ Initial 75 min. 1 on 1 coaching session to establish goals and expectations.
√ 7 x 75 min. weekly group sessions. **
√ Solid introduction to the fundamentals of English language pedagogy
√ Goal setting and reflection workbook.
√ WTW lesson planning templates.
√ A selection of WTW resource packages.
√ Email and messenger support between sessions.
√ Completion 75 min. 1 on 1 coaching session to evaluate progress and map future learning.
** Maximum of 5 participants in a group.
Bonus: Participants will have access to our virtual ‘Open Staffroom’
We will be hosting a 2 hour live session fortnightly, where participants can come to ask questions, share information or just hang out.
We Teach Well mentoring programs work because:
- Our mentors have years of successful teaching experience.
- We understand the requirements of both State and Federal education bodies.
- We know that teachers are multi-faceted and that to be successful, their professional goals must align with other areas of their lives.
Hi, I'm Carolyn and I have worked in the education sector for over 25 years, both in Australia and internationally. I have seen outstanding teachers struggle because they don't have access to quality resources and training. I am committed to supporting them where ever they may be.
Hi, I'm Judy. I have been teaching for over 15 years in Queensland. During this time, I have worked with the English Teachers Association in Queensland and served on the English Extension Panel. What gets me up in the morning is my commitment to ensuring that rural teachers get the same access to quality professional development as their city colleagues.
What Our Colleagues Say
Carolyn is an excellent mentor always ready to help out her students and anyone around her with her skills and expertise. The work “weteachwell” is doing is important and highly relevant in today’s education landscape where creativity and arts education needs to be encouraged along with digital learning, to develop 21st century skills.
The team has so many years of experience and invaluable insights and knowledge to share with teachers.
Include a We Teach Well Mentoring and Coaching program as part of a high quality, successful professional development strategy.
Will I get reports on the teacher's progress?
Schools will have the opportunity of submitting requests for particular issues to be addressed. They will also receive a completion report at the end of the program, however, they will not have access to the content of the sessions.
Is there a recognised framework to the program?
We Teach Well endorses wholeheartedly the idea that supporting a teacher’s professional growth is the best way to ensure that all students become successful learners, confident and creative individuals and active, informed citizens. *
The coach will model and support the standards of professional knowledge, professional practice, and professional engagement as set out by the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. (APST) However, mentoring and coaching sessions are confidential.
*Australian Teacher Performance and Development Framework. p.3
What does the school need to do?
The Framework requires that teacher performance and development processes and goals should reflect the overall approach to teaching and learning within a school and should be consistent with the school plans. So it would be good if the participant is aware of these.
Can we use these sessions for teacher appraisal?
(You see what I did there? My language got all formal. That was the interpretation given by the QIEU)
Will we have the opportunity to assess the program?
The core criteria for all We Teach Well coaching and mentoring programs are taken from the Australian Charter for the Professional Learning of Teachers and School Leaders.
Has the professional learning program:
- Informed practice and pedagogy.
- Been relevant, collaborative and future focused.
- Assisted the teachers and schools to modify practice in response to student needs.
- Clarified for the teachers and administrations the importance of professional learning networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrated that evidence of practice can and should be collected from a variety of sources.
- Built the confidence of the teachers as valued professionals.
What is your refund policy?
Once the group sessions have begun fees can not be refunded. However, if there is a good reason for the drop-out you can substitute another participant. We will provide the support needed to help the new participant fit into the group.
We Teach Well are committed to helping schools and teachers as much as possible during this crazy time. Consequently we have discounted our coaching and mentoring packages for the rest of the year.
Term 3 Coaching commences July 20th 2020
Term 4 Coaching commences October 12th 2020
Still Not Sure
If you are still not sure if we can give you the help you need, or you have other questions get in touch.
Fill out the form below or book a time to chat